Redeem Free Promo Code for an iPhone App
What is a Promo Code?
Apple provides developers with promo codes which allow you to download apps that are normally for-pay (or not released yet) for free. You can redeem them from your iPhone or from iTunes.
Redeeming from your iPhone (requires OS 3.0)
- Tap the App Store icon from the Home Screen.
- Navigate to the New section on the Featured tab.
- Scroll to the bottom of the list to locate and tap the Redeem button.
- Enter the promo code and tap the Redeem button in the upper right.
- Tap done on the Thank You screen, then tap the home button to return to the home screen.
- After a second, you should see the new app installing.
- When the app is ready, its name will appear. Tap it to launch your new app.
Redeeming from iTunes
(You can click this link to Go Directly to the iTunes Redeem Screen, skipping steps 1–2.)
- Launch iTunes and click on iTunes Store.
- Click Redeem on the far right.
- Enter your code and click the Redeem button.
- Click on your iPhone (plug it in if you haven’t yet).
- Click the Applications tab in the upper right.
- Click the new app to check the box, or click “All Applications” to sync all. Then click the Apply button. If you didn’t change anything, you’ll click Sync instead of Apply.
- iTunes will install the new app to your iPhone. It should show up on your home screen.