Installing an Ad Hoc Distributed iPhone Application
What is Ad Hoc Distribution?
Ad Hoc Distribution allows developers to send you an application before it is available in the iTunes App Store. If you’re participating in our Early Customer program, this is how we distribute iPhone / iPod Touch applications.
Installing an Ad Hoc Distributed Application
Before beginning the installation process you’ll need the zip file that contains the application and .mobileprovision file (we’ll send you an email with these), an iPhone or iPod Touch, and your computer that runs iTunes.
- Save the zip file containing the application and the Ad_Hoc_Distribution_Profile.mobileprovision file to a convenient location, such as your Desktop.
- Drag-and-drop the Ad_Hoc_Distribution_Profile.mobileprovision file onto Library -> Applications in iTunes.
- Extract the contents of the zip file containing the application.
To do this, right-click the zip file and select Extract All…. Step through the wizard and accept the defaults by clicking Next.
- Find the .app folder.
- Drag-and-drop the whole .app folder onto Library -> Applications within iTunes.
- Verify that the application shows up in Library -> Applications. Note that it will not have its normal icon.
- In iTunes, select your iPhone / iPod Touch under Devices, choose the Application tab, and make sure that the application is set to sync.
- Sync your iPhone / iPod Touch and try out the new app!
If you run into any trouble installing an app, just email us, firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll help you get it sorted out.